Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ode to Kathy


Women need to become literary “criminals”, break the literary laws and reinvent their own, because the established laws prevent women from presenting the reality of their lives.
(Kathy Acker, from Bodies Of Work)

Kathy Acker is my hero. She, in my opinion, is one of the greatest most revolutionary writers of the 20th century. Since discovering Blood and Guts in High School I have devoured all of her work, wrote my thesis on her, and have basically based most of my feminist theories on literature on her ideas.

So when my friend back home told me she was going to see a Kathy Acker documentary at the Melbourne International Film Festival I was dumbfounded. How had I not heard of this??? To make matters worse when I visited the film's website I saw that it had traveled through Seattle in May, while I was away.

Completely bummed.

Fingers crossed I can see it soon. She is god. Literally.

No comments: