Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wordstock 2011


Me and a huge stack of books are curled up at home after an exhausting but exhilarating weekend at Wordstock, the largest book festival in the Northwest. :)

Even though I have lived in Portland for three years this is the first time I have been able to attend the festival. I spent most of my time tabling for Bitch, but that was a great way to meet people (and seek refuge from the crowds - it is a privilege to live in such a book-loving city but I am still an anti-social, easily startled writer at heart...).

Anyway, I did manage to get to a few of the readings and panels, and do a quick tour of other booths. I was very excited to renew both my Calyx and Tin House subscriptions, as well as pick up a new one to Gertrude. I also picked up a copy of Granta's feminism issue which I have been eager to read...

Authors I was able to see read were: Jennifer Egan, Barry Lopez (in conversation with John Freeman, editor of Granta), Vanessa Veselka, and Charles Yu.

I also attended the 'Mean Girls' panel consisting of Chelsea Cain, Moira Kelly, and Lisa Wells.

All in all a very inspiring couple of days that reminded why I love living in Portland so much, and how vibrant the writing and publishing community is.

*Right on!*






No comments: